For the pasta dough:
Plain unbleached flour: 450 g / 1 lb /4 cups, 4 eggs, salt
For the stuffing:
Ricotta: 600 g /11 oz, spinach 500 g / 1¼ lb, grated parmesan: 50 g / 1¾ oz / ½ cup, 2 eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper
• Prepare a normal pasta dough with the flour, eggs, a little water and a pinch of salt.
• Whilst the ball of dough, wrapped in plastic wrap, is left to stand for a few minutes in a cool place, prepare the stuffing.
• Boil the spinach in the little water left in the leaves after rinsing.
• Drain well and chop very finely, then add the ricotta, the parmesan and the eggs; salt, pepper, season with nutmeg and stir well to obtain a smooth, dense mixture.
• Roll out the dough on a floured surface ( either with a rolling pin or with the machine) until extremely thin.
• Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture in rows, about 6 cm/ 2½ inches apart; cover with a layer of dough and cut the ravioli with the rim of a glass. Press around the stuffing and seal with a fork.
• Cook in plenty of salted water, drain with a perforated spoon and serve in a large hot bowl with melted butter (this can be flavoured with sage) and Parmesan.
• Before serving, leave to stand for a few minutes. These are delicious topped with fine slices of white truffle.